To celebrate the launch of our new Perfect Balance Probiotic Serum, we've teamed up with our friends at Grape & Fig to create these gut-friendly Spiced Green Probiotic Pancakes with a zesty avocado salad, packed with healthy fats and probiotic-rich kefir yoghurt to help you glow from the inside out.
For optimum gut health, nutritionists suggest having a varied diet including good quality protein, legumes, leafy greens and healthy fats alongside fermented and cultured foods to restore a healthy microbiome. This recipe ticks all the boxes, with antioxidant-packed spinach and corriander, omega-rich avocado and olive oil and kefir- a fermented milk product rich in probiotics.
Spiced up with your favourite chilli sauce and zingy lime, these super-food pancakes make the perfect weekend brunch and are sure to put a spring in your step.
Why take care of your gut?
Our gut microbiome is the foundation of good health. With 80% of our immune system in our gut, taking care of our gut health is an essential part of our overall well-being, helping to improve digestion and absorb nutrients, flush out waste products and ensure our immunity stays strong to protect us against illness. Our gut also has a big impact on our hormonal health, which in turn can impact our mood- and our skin.
Spiced Green Probiotic Pancakes- 25 minutes (Serves 6)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 300g cherry tomatoes
- 100g baby spinach
- 3-4 spring onions
- ½ a bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 lime
- 1 large free-range egg
- 1 mug self-raising flour
- 1 mug of milk (or dairy-free alternative)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a drizzle for frying
- 2 tbsp kefir yoghurt
- Chilli sauce
- Place a quarter of the spinach in a salad bowl with the cherry tomatoes (quartered) and slices of avocado.
- Add finely sliced spring onions, fresh coriander and a squeeze of lime juice to the salad bowl, as well as 1 tbsp of olive oil and salt and pepper.
- In a blender, blitz the egg, flour, milk, remaining spinach and a pinch of salt and pepper, until smooth.
- Add a little oil into a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat and pour in a thin layer of your batter.
- Cook for 2 minutes on one side only, or until lightly golden, then place on a serving plate and repeat.
- Top with the kefir yogurt, the avocado salad and some chilli sauce. Enjoy!
With thanks to Grape & Fig grapeandfig.com