So...What is Double Cleansing
Heard of Double Cleansing? This skincare technique is taking the social media world by storm. But more than just a passing trend, Double Cleansing originates from 14th century Asia, and combines ancient wisdom with modern skin technology to help super-charge your skincare routine. We’re diving into all things double cleanse, exploring where the technique originated from, how to perfect your double cleanse routine, and the benefits of double cleansing for your skin.
The ancient roots of the seemingly 'new' skincare phenomena which has taken social media by storm
Where Did Double Cleansing Come From?
A brief history of the seemingly new beauty technique
Double Cleansing is thought to have its history in ancient roots. As far back as the 14th century, Korean and Japanese women would wear makeup including thick white paint on their skin, and deep red tones on their lips and cheeks. Enter: Double Cleansing, where first oil would be applied to the skin and washed off, followed applying soap to help effectively remove all traces of makeup and leave the skin cleaned and refreshed.
Fast-forward 8 centuries, and the concept of double cleansing remains the same; apply an oil-based cleanser to remove the first layer of dirt, makeup and build up on the skin, then follow by a foaming cleanser which helps to unclog pores and brighten the skin. This double step routines allows for dual action cleansing, leaving the skin expertly cleansed, and ready for the next stages in your skincare routine.
How Do You Double Cleanse?
Perfecting your two step routine
You can double cleanse in the morning, following a sweaty workout, or on holiday when SPF usage is higher, but we especially recommend double cleansing at the end of the day.
Makeup and SPF aside, during the course of the day, residue from the environment and a build-up of pollution sits invisibility on the top layer of the skin, trapping in SPFs, makeup, and your skin’s natural oil, sebum. When these build up and are not effectively removed from the skin, we’re more likely to suffer from pesky breakouts, hormonal acne, or congested and dull skin - which robs us of our radiance.
Incorporate these simple steps into your daily cleansing ritual to help you perfect the art of double cleansing
Oil it Up: an oil-based cleanser gently yet effectively melts away residue on the skin. It’s a common misconception that adding oil-based products to your skincare routine will exacerbate breakouts, clogged pores, or acne, but think again. According to experts, oils gently nurture and nourish the skin, without stripping too much of your natural oil (which is the reason we tend to get breakouts as our skin over compensates when we use harsh toners or chemicals)
Use your Hands: don’t be afraid to get your hands involved. Use your fingertips and palms to warm your oil-based cleanser and deeply stimulate your skin. Scientific research shows that facial massage increases oxygen and blood flow to the face which helps to boost radiance and slow down the aging process.
Get Foamy: the second stage in your routine is to use your foaming cleanser. These use natural enzymes to break down tougher products, and help to remove excess residue , as well as dead skin cells to help uncover your smooth, radiant skin.
- Finish Strong: no double cleanse routine would be completed without following withy your your favorite serum and moisturiser. Gently pat your face dry, and then using small circulate motions add first your serum, then your moisturiser to your face and neck to perfect your whole routine.
The benefits of double cleansing far outweigh just feeling like you are ‘in’ on the latest skincare trends, although admittedly, that does feel good. Double cleansing has a range of benefits, making it an unmissable step in your day to day skincare ritual.
The Benefits of double cleansing
(Beyond trending on TikTok)
- Double Action: by using two separate cleansing products you benefit from dual cleansing action, which means your skin is effectively and expertly cleansed for the perfect canvas for the rest of your skincare, or your makeup.
- Anti-Aging: so nice, we had to mention it twice… by deeply stimulating your face using your double cleanse you can help offset the signs of aging, and keep your skin dewy and radiant all year long.
- The Daily Ritual: factoring in a little time each day for your own rest and relaxation is a must, and double cleanse is the perfect excuse to spend a few extra minutes alone in your bathroom each day.
- A Sensory Experience: at Elemental Herbology, all of our products are fragrance free, and instead we rely on natural essential oils to scent our products and provide a range of benefits for the mind, body and skin. Double cleansing allows you to enjoy the sensory experience of your products, deeply inhaling their calming scents to help soothe the skin and the mind.
- The Rest of Your Routine: double cleansing creates the perfect blank canvas, meaning the rest of your skincare products can penetrate deeper into the surface of your skin, meaning they perform better, and you may even find yourself needing to use less.
Ready to give double cleansing a go? we've got some exciting new product launches that may just help you out...